This post may contain affiliate links that help support our homeschool.
It is summer and if you are a homeschooler you may be still looking at homeschool curriculum options. I just absolutely have to mention Sonlight. You've probably heard me talk about Sonlight before, but I wanted to pass along some of my favorite reasons why it really works for us.
* My children are getting a great education and loving it ... at least most of the time! Sonlight is a literature-based curriculum, so we read tons of great books out loud together. The kids devour plenty of books on their own, too. We stay away from boring textbooks and really engage in what we're learning. This past year we read: My Father's Dragon, The Family Under the Bridge, Doctor Dolittle, The Boxcar Children, The House at Pooh Corner, Dolphin Adventure, A Grain of Rice, Twenty and Ten, Dolphin Treasure, Mary on Horseback, Johnny Appleseed, The Hundred Dresses, Little House in the Big Woods, The Bravest Dog Ever, The Light at Tern Rock and many, many more.
* That time spent reading together on the couch is creating some great memories--we learn so much about each other as we discuss the events, ideas and characters we discover. I really enjoy how Sonlight offers discussion questions as part of the instructors guide. It helps me to make sure the kids are listening...I'm often surprised that they all are listening!!! I wish I had a camera on the wall so you could see all four kids piled up listening to some great stories!
* With the Instructor's Guides Sonlight provides, we can just open up the guide and do school every day without me spending much time planning. That gives us even more time to hang out ... and keep up with the laundry.
* Sonlight prepares my kids to engage with the world around them. We study lots of different cultures and don't just focus on US history. My kids know that not everyone is like us, and they're learning to care about those around them with an intelligent and Christ-centered love. My favorite memory of this year was when Peanut was sitting at the dinner table eating and talking about how Romans eat. She then said, "Why can't I lay at the table and have someone feed me like the Romans I'm just so tired of sitting and feeding myself."
* Sonlight offers the best risk-free offer of anyone. You can take a whole year to use 18-weeks of a curriculum package or Instructor's Guide. If you don't love it, send it all back (used books and all) and receive a full refund of every penny you paid. Go here to read more on this stress-free offer.
* I get all the help I need from Sonlight's online forums, their curriculum advisors (who can help me choose which products will fit my family best) and their customer relations team. Granted, I'd love it if they also sent a personal chef to my house occasionally ... but I guess they can't do everything.
I should also mention that on top of that, Sonlight has a Rewards Program I enjoy. If you decide to purchase from Sonlight, enter my Rewards ID when you register an account on their site and you'll get $5 off your first order ($50 or more). I'll get points that I can redeem at another time.
My Rewards ID: JB20370049 or just use this link!
Check out WHY SONLIGHT for some great articles about Sonlight that may help. I particularly appreciated "27 Reasons NOT to Buy Sonlight," "You can teach your children--with confidence--from your first day" and "How Literature-Rich Homeschooling Awakens Your Child's Natural Passion for Learning."
I suppose that's enough info for now. Ask away if you have questions! And, make sure you follow the blog! This year I'll be posting weekly about our adventures with Sonlight!
Hope you have a great day.